Sunday, July 25, 2010

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!

It has officially been confirmed. After much trials and tribulations, I will indeed be a member of the audience at Lollapalooza!


The general consensus for many of my peers have been that buying a $200 ticket is not worth it because of the "weak" 2010 lineup. Many of these people are comparing from the previous year or even from a couple years back. Every festival includes hits and misses, but it's all about the hits that make it worth coughing up some cash and commit to a whirlwind weekend. Even as a devout fan of Perry Farrell & co’s picks, he missed a “few” this year. To his credit, he can’t hold down and dictate bands to fill a slot at Lollapalooza. Totally and completely understandable. Team Perry!

Truthfully, I, myself, was not planning on buying a ticket. Luckily, I didn’t have to. One thing led to another and before I knew it, I had a ticket in hand. A fortunate circumstance like this is quite rare and I'm not going to let it slip through my fingers. I’m fucking going. I don’t care that Soundgarden and Greenday are 2 out of the 3 main headliners, or that many groups who dropped fantastic albums this year won’t be there to give us a taste of what they’ve been working so hard on. Regardless, this year has a handful of solid anchors that will hopefully bring in a fresh crowd. Oh, and I can't forget the presence of Lady GaGa. She's a killer performer and entertainer, there's no disputing that. She may have a stigma attached to her, but everyone can admit she's going to put on a mindblowing show. Hopefully with lots of blood, tea cups, and patriotism.

Let’s take a gander at the 2009. Okay, so it was pretty epic. Topping that all-star lineup is pretty impossible, so maybe they went in a different direction and made the best of it. When I first read the lineup a little more than a year ago, “who copied and pasted my Itunes onto this page?!” was my only thought. Let's just say I was a little more than thrilled. Fists of fury were being pumped, but later depression set in as I couldn't go. As the saying goes, "the past is the past"; so let's make this year wild!

Lollapalooza's website offers the ability to "customize your schedule." While on my full throttle Lollapalooza high, I started to figure out who I was definitely going to see, and who I wouldn't mind missing. Here are my must-sees:
  1. Foxy Shazam: I've heard they get DOWN.
  2. Matt & Kim: click me! Enough said.
  3. Grizzly Bear: amazing vocals.
  4. The xx: no explanation needed.
  5. Rusko: O.M.G.
  6. Phoenix: nothing better than some french gentlemen.
  7. Yeasayer: go listen to their new album (and previous ones).
  8. Flosstradamus: the real life brother of Kid Sister and a homeboy from K-Zoo, Mi. Dope sounds (they hang out with the likes of A-Trak and Diplo, must I go on?)!
  9. Mumford & Sons, Blitzen Trapper, The DoDos, The Strokes, and so many more! I think you get the gist.
Either way, I'm looking to get overstimulated by the sounds, smells, tastes(?) of Lollapalooza. I'd say according to the list, I'm in some damn good company for an outrageous weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment