Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Weekend of Champion$

As a Lollapalooza first-timer, I felt unprepared but over-prepared.
Underprepared in what I should expect and my choice in festival clothing. Over-prepared in the sense that I knew exactly who I wanted to see and when. Timing was everything.
All the magical stories I heard about Lollapalooza were unraveling before me and I made unbelievable memories of my own. My very own Lolla story.

Let's start with my almost encounter with The XX. Although my friends did not believe me at the time, there was no doubt that Romy, Oliver, and Jamie walked past me. In a sea of just-released Lolla goers, 3 figures all dressed in black with similar hair cuts, sauntered by. At the time I didn't know their names first hand, but yelling "THE XX!!!" seemed uncouth and way uncool. So the opportunity to meet them literally passed by.

All was okay though because the 3rd day as I was walking out with my friend Cole, I recognized Curt from Flosstradamus! Thanks to Cole's encouragement to run up to him, we stopped him for a quick chat and took some GREAT pictures. Two pictures to be exact: 1) try to look happy! 2) now think "after school special." The second pose puzzled all of us, as shown clearly by our expressions. Such a perfect encounter filled with conversation, laughs, and great pictures. He is after all a Michiganian! Reppin Kalamazoo in Chicago baby.


LET'S TALK MUSIC:
Matt & Kim- Pretty great. No, really great. Scratch that, they were magical. They did some kickass renditions of songs like "Better Off Alone." Ya just had to be there. Quote (or at least something close to it) of the weekend for me:
KIM- Last time we were here for Lollapalooza, I got to see my rack on the jumbo-tron, and if a cameraman will, I would love to see my boobs fucking huge!
MATT- Sorry, but not even a jumbo-tron can make those look huge
Yeasayer - Speechless. Awesome, AWESOME, show. Permanent goosebumps after hearing O.N.E. & Ampling Alp live. Almost everyone especially knew Ampling Alp, so the sing-a-long was epic and I've never had such insane goosebumps.


Phoenix - even though I tried to be as close as possible, I was stuck way back and the jumbo-tron was my only true hope at seeing them well. Phoenix was definitely top of the list and hearing/seeing them was everything I hoped it would be. Mars sang as dreamy as could be, finishing the performance by making his way through the first row and serenading all those around him. Mad chills snuck up on me during "Armistice." I can't wait to go to their next show where it will hopefully be a little more intimate than thousands of bodies flooding around the stage.

The XX - not even a headliner and they pulled in a crowd I could NOT believe. Most of Grant Park was faced towards the stage they were playing at and seeing them was not a viable option. Even though I couldn't see the trio, hearing them was enough. I kept thinking, "if only I would have gone up to them, we could have become best buds and I could be backstage watching!" Oh, I know. A girl can only dream.

Flosstradamus - illest of the ill. Str8 Chicago rhythm with Detroit beats. At least that's what I like to think; collaboration of the two cities. Their stage presence was so explosive, that tiny stage, Perry's, could not contain them. During their "Lion King" set, the crowd all started belting the inaudible sounds and although you can't see it in the video, a guy on stage behind Flossy held a baby up to perfect the moment. Since Josh Young a.k.a. J2K is Kid Sister's brother, they spun some sick tracks by her. When I met Curt later, I confessed that I was hoping Kid Sis would make an appearance. He admitted that she was in town and was planning to, but couldn't last minute. Bummer, but then again, if Kid Sister would have emerged, I would have seized.


Lady Gaga - missed her, but I was in the way nose-bleeders section anyway. Judging from what I heard from the streets filled with people scream-singing Gaga songs, I say it was probably a spectacular performance. Not to mention her outrageous stage diving earlier that day at Semi Precious Weapons!

This post would be never-ending if I raved about every performance, I saw, but here are some honorable mentions:
-My Dear Disco (awesome female vocals)
-Devo (rocked it like it was 1980)
-Empire of the Sun (the craziest performers Australia has ever produced)
-Rusko (just about as hype as you can get)
-Chromeo (from Dave 1's funky singing to P-Thugg smooth autotune, it was a flawless show)
-MSTRKRFT (surprise appearance due to Dirty South dropping out last minute)
-The Big Pink (only caught 'Dominos', but damn glad I did since it's the only song I know well)
-Grizzly Bear (chilling vocals. My dream of hearing 'Knife' live came true)
-Blitzen Trapper (after hearing them live, they've been on nonstop)
- & sooo many more. I wish I could have caught more shows!

My stay in Chicago was extended and I sure am happy it was. We got to conquer some stores (I bought me a killer jacket), saw my darling best friend Chase and a couple other great friends while meeting new friends too! From the music festivities to my star-struck encounters with "famous people," my 6 days in Chicago were surreal.

Take me back!

No comments:

Post a Comment